Thursday, April 3, 2008

Arkansas Educators Consider Ethics Code




"Arkansas teachers will soon be measured by a formal ethics standard....
New at Wednesday night, the Arkansas Department of Education held a public hearing to discuss ethics in education. Arkansas is one of the few states whose teachers don't have a code of ethics.
And with recent cases of teacher misconduct in the news, some believe the time is right to put the standards in place.
"We believe those people that have been in the news have been in the minority, because we have some outstanding teachers in Arkansas. We want all of our teachers who are coming through our teacher training to actually see the code of expectation, of what those standards are -- for what your conduct should be as a teacher," Beverly Williams said with AR Dept. of Education.
And if you'd like to see the code of ethics,
click here
."Reported by: Betsey Martin, KARK 4-News
Wednesday, Apr 2, 2008 @07:51pm CST
When I was in school, I guess I was oblivious to the teachers' that were pervs around me, or either they kept their craziness to their private sects..........Anyway, this is a little too late in my book and as far as the Code of Ethics is concerned, I don't believe that's really going to change a sick predatory mind set to change if they miraculously read this code and then WALLAH!!!! "I'M GOING TO ABIDE BY THE CODE!" Sorry, don't think it'll work that way; just my opinion. Got to dig a little deeper into the background checks of these people you're hiring and I'm sorry again; however, within the hiring system of our school systems, these tight lips at the last known place of employment should be able to disclose something about the prospective employee that you're check'n out if they have had KNOWN issues and repeated WRITTEN reprimands........You would think that a prospective employer/school district could request these records per the FOI, per a lawyer's request on behalf of the prospective employer; of course that means another job for a lawyer, but it can only be in the best interest and the RIGHTS of the STUDENTS and why not..........But I'm sure it's infringing on some pervs rights......so nevermind! Let's just make it look good for now! Peace out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To maintain the Arkansas tradition they should add "An educator will paddle the hell out of any student who gives him or her any backtalk whether in or outside the classroom."

Sally "COUGAR" Snoddy said...

Back in the day, Miss Brooks, that's what they were ALLOWED TO DO!!!! I, for one, am a statistic of that very rule!!! Both in and out of the classroom and I enjoyed every minute of it!!!! That unspoken rule made me the strong willed, stand alone person that I am today.....and I might add, I don't need a trophy or a medal every time I fail!!!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed every minute of it too. Still do.

Anonymous said...

I still enjoy letting you have it too Elliot.

Anonymous said...

I think that we need to go back to the rules Arkansas had about 75 years ago. My mother, a teacher, was dismissed because she got married.